Wednesday, 14 November 2012

GO! Standard

I have just set up a new expert advisor on the GO! Standard account. This account will be traded by a modified version of the  HumbleScalp system I described some time ago. Basically the improvements are:
  • added a few additional complementary strategies to bring down drawdown. Their trading style is the same, entry conditions are just different for each strategy. This smooths the equity curve a lot, and I am a big supporter of this approach. Usually a few instances of the same strategy ran with different parameters will have much slightly lower profit but much lower drawdown than single instance with higher risk. 
  • improved calculation of SL and TP - calculated based on recent volatility and not recent range. Some limitation to the maximum and minimum SL and TP still applies to avoid too low or too high levels. 
  • slightly changed position management (it can take up 18 trades to follow one move). This change goes in pair with adding new strategies, simply each strategy can use just a few slots out of the available pool.
Below is a year by year 10 years EURUSD backtest (Alpari UK data, 0.8 pip spread). I know when you see backtest like this, you think this is some shitty EA that abuses the MetaTrader backtest module and opens and closes trades within one, 1-minute bar (which will produce false results, as Metatrder is considering only OHLC data from lowest available timeframe 1-mintue in the backtest). But actually the average trade time is around 1 hour. By the way I also resigned from fancy take profit trailing, because I believe Metatrader backtester is also unreliable when trailing is done with less pips then bar size.

I have a few ideas for improvement up my sleves, but I'll see how the strategy will perform on this level. I will run it with a rather high risk (nothing new though...). 

2002:
 2003:
 2004:
 2005:
 2006:
 2007:
 2008:
 2009:
2010:
 2011:
 2012:


2 comments:

  1. Where did you get your Alpari UK data? were you able to download it?

    Does Metatrader pass the processing to your c# library and then pass back for the order processing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Alpari UK data you can download the Alpari Platform (just register a demo account) and use the History Center to download / export it from Metatrader.

    This strategy is actually fully based in MQL - it is based on a few technical indicators and some simple calculations. Most of the code is actually order management - I build a custom order handling code that for each position will keep highest profit, lowest profit, duration and use this for adjusting the SL/TP levels as well as closing positions.

    ReplyDelete